Monday, May 7, 2012

Easy and Inexpensive Veggie Burger

Most of the veggie burger recipes I have seen require a food processor and call for onions.   I don't have a food processor and in the middle of the day I try to stay away from onions..so I have come up with this easy veggie burger recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 can of black beans(drained and rinsed serveral times)
1/2 to 2/3 can of corn( drained)
1 egg
1/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup of vital wheat gluten flour
salt and pepper to taste

mash the beans with either a potato masher, fork or whatever.  Add 1/2 cup of corn.
mix in 1 egg.  Add in the flours.  smash this together until it forms a patty.   I try to add as
much corn as I can.. but that is up to you.   If your mixture is too dry add more flour.   If it is
too wet add a little more flour( either will work fine).  Add salt and pepper to taste...or hot peppers..
anything you want.  I get about 5 patties out of this recipe.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment.  Lightly spray with cooking spray.   Place burgers on sprayed parchment.   Bake for 15 minutes on one side, turn then bake 15 more.

These are mild tasting..but I like to add my flavors with condiments... this recipe takes about 5-10 minutes at most to make.  Each burger will have about 165 calories and 14 grams of protein.
Considering that Boca burgers cost about 1$ a piece.. these are a lot cheaper alternative.  They are really filling