Friday, April 20, 2012

Two days a week

My son was reading a readers digest article to me.. it claims that dieters who dieted only two days a week lost as much weight as someone who dieted 7 days a week.    Since I am frustrated with the lack of flexibility on Atkins, I have decided to give this a try.   The article suggested Monday and Friday.   My question is/was how to do those two days and what to do the rest of the week.    I have decided I will do a low calorie, high protein diet on those two days.   I am researching other more flexible diets for the rest of the week.

2 things I will keep up:

- morning flax muffin
- dinner spinach salad.

Some of the diets I am looking at are:

Weight Watchers - can I do this without joining and paying the expensive monthly web site fee ? I can
only eat about 12 points a day with this.    My morning flax muffin comes in at 4 points.. which seems
like a lot for a 200 calorie item.  Spinach comes in a 0 points.  It seems like most low carb tortilla's are about 1 point. This is good.

Mediterranean Diet - Still need to learn more.

Volumetrics Diet -Eating foods that have a large water content.

Why I am keeping my flax muffin:
I would like a diet that includes healthy oils.  I know the Flax seed oil is a healthy oil.  Flax seed lowers cholesterol, it helps fight cancer( lignans).  It has more omega-3 oils than my fish oil vitamins and it tastes a lot better.  And supposedly flax helps with menopausal symptoms.  Flax is the richest known plant source of phytoestrogens.   I have not felt these yet.. but a bit of preventive measure can't hurt.


I find I feel better when I eat some lean protein in almost all of my meals.  So I think a true vegan diet is out for me.. plus I really like chicken.