Saturday, March 24, 2012

awesome brownies and pizza crust.

I made some incredible low carb brownies yesterday.  They are terrific. I like them best either chilled or heated in the microwave.   They are a bit crumbly.. even my dad liked them.  Here is the recipe
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/miraclebrownies.htm    The erythritol is expensive but worth it.  You will get a big batch.  With treats like these it makes the ongoing weight loss phase of Atkins a lot easier.  I have also been experimenting with low carb pizza crusts.  I have found that the ones made with flax meal, eggs, oil, baking powder, and a little bit of low carb coconut flour(optional) to be the lowest carb.  They are not terrific but definitely eatable and if you have great toppings you don't notice much that you do not have a white flour crust.  This pizza is extremely filling ..all the fiber from the flax.. You will have a tough time eating more than 2 slices.

I find that when I mix this stuff with the regular salads and protein and vegetable meals.. the situation is a lot nicer.  Remember to use the brownies as a treat.. not a meal.  I cut mine and put them away in pieces. that way I am less likely to eat extra big pieces.