Friday, February 24, 2012

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes - yuck or yum

In the past I have been very skeptical of cauliflower mashed potatoes, so much so that I thought they sounded very unappetizing and have never tried them.  My dh bought a head of cauliflower and was planning on steaming it, I am not very fond of steamed cauliflower so I thought maybe it was time to give this a try.   We simply used a potato masher, in reality you are supposed to puree it in a blender but I did not want to deal with the extra dishes.    Using a potato masher turned out OK, I added a little cream and a little butter.   The consistency was more like creamed rice.. the taste was terrific.   We loved it.    It may all be psychological but somehow it gave me the comfort feeling of eating mashed potatoes.  Lesson learned, definitely a yum.   Try this and you might be surprised too.